Being a cool climate, lively white wine with electric acidity comes easily to Ontario. But wrapping that electricity with clean, nuanced, silky fruit and pricing around $15 a bottle? That’s a bit more difficult. Here are five local wines that do just that. 2013 Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate Black Series Riesling Gewurztraminer, VQA Niagara Peninsula (Ontario), #357129,… read more
A new study published in the Journal of Wine Economics found that the alcohol content in many wines is understated. Although in most cases, the labels were off by only a small fraction, the trend could mean that wine as we know it may become a thing of the past. For the study, scientists from the… read more
SANTIAGO – “China will soon surpass the US as the top consumer of Chilean wine,” Claudio Cilveti, general manager of Vinos de Chile, the country’s wine association, told Xinhua on Wednesday. According to Cilveti, the sales of Chilean wine have grown by 43 percent in the last five years in China and should grow by around… read more
What happens when a Bordeaux winery opens a restaurant in Paris? The short answer is magic. The longer one involves sumptuous food and wine.
Created in 1935, the family-owned and managed company Domaine Clarence Dillon is a renowned winemaker producing five rare and exceptional estate wines: two red wines and two white wines from First Growth, Château Haut-Brion and its sibling Château La Mission Haut-Brion, as well as representing one of the finest wines from Saint Émilion; Château Quintus.
In 2005, the Company created the Bordeaux Fine Wine Merchant, Clarence Dillon Wines, which has become one of the most important Fine Wine Merchants in Bordeaux, and launched Clarendelle, “Inspired by Haut-Brion”, Bordeaux’s first super premium luxury brand wine. So it’s not surprising that they wanted to expand even more. And expand they did.
Just a couple of months ago they launched the Hôtel Dillon, located in the heart of Paris’s Golden Triangle. This 19th century mansion houses a gourmet restaurant, Le Clarence and La Cave du Château, a wine shop that features a wide selection of wines sourced exclusively from the terroirs of France.
The restaurant is run by Christophe Pelé, Managing Director and Executive Chef,] and Antoine Pétrus, Restaurant Manager and Chef Sommelier. Together they add a contemporary touch to the classic French cuisine and service.
A restaurant like this us classic Parisian and any even spent eating and drinking in the sumptuous surroundings is like a celebration of all things French. We say, C’est Magnifique!
Americans said they would splurge an average of $203 in order to have a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience at a gourmet restaurant, according to a recent online survey by Harris Poll sponsored by Michelin, the global tire maker that publishes, arguably, the world’s most celebrated restaurant guide that imparts the famous Michelin stars to the very finest eateries.
“We discovered across every demographic that American diners would be willing to pay a sizable sum to eat the best meal of their lives at a high-end restaurant,” said Cynthia Ochterbeck, Michelin’s U.S. editorial director for travel guides. “Perhaps this is the influence of around-the-clock food shows and celebrity chefs, but the fine food movement continues to see an extraordinary growth in popularity.”
Michelin’s survey with Harris Poll queried more than 2,000 U.S. adults, revealing some surprising preferences about great food experiences:
- Millennials (ages 18-34) on average would pay $282 for this culinary experience, compared to those diners ages 45-54 who would shell out $170, and $122 for those 65 and older.
- Geographically, diners in the West are much bigger spenders, saying they would pay $352 for an unsurpassed meal, which is essentially double what people would pay in the Northeast ($182), the South ($149) and Midwest ($148).
- Gender is also a factor, according to survey results. Men are willing to drop an average of $241 for a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience, while women are inclined to spend considerably less on average, at $166.
What cuisine would American diners likely splurge on?
- A quarter of U.S. adults who participated in the Michelin survey say that steakhouse cuisine is their favorite choice for dining.
- Italian ranked as the second choice nationally for the meal of a lifetime. Notably, nearly 1 in 4 Northeast diners (24 percent) favor Italian fare, versus 18 percent in the South, 15 percent in the Midwest and 17 percent in the West. Tied for American adults’ third choice are Mexican, American and Continental, all at 13 percent in the survey.
To start the new year off right Jody Ness is back with WTF – Wine, Travel, Food. This is Jody at his most uninhibited best; no editing, not worried about being polite, it’s a no holes barred look at his world through the things he cares about most – Wine, Food, Travel. WTF!
It’s the new year and time to get out and try some new restaurants so we bring you a list of the Top 25 Restaurants in the US as voted on by foodies across the country. Do we agree with this list? No but it makes a good place to start you dinning adventures.
View the Top 25 list below. Which restaurant will you dine at next?
Top 25 Restaurants of 2015:
1. Il Postale– Sunnyvale, CA
2. Pampas Churrascaria– Las Vegas, NV
3. Carrie Cerino’s Ristorante & Party Center– North Royalton, OH
4. Katella Grill– Orange, CA
5. KingFish– Jeffersonville, IN
6. Sam Snead’s Tavern– Orlando, FL
7. Sweet Baby Ray’s– Elk Grove Village, IL
8. Ice House Pub– Punta Gorda, FL
9. Jim’s Place Restaurant & Bar– Memphis, TN
10. Double Yolk Pancake House & Restaurant– Aurora, IL
11. The Spaghetti Warehouse– Toledo, OH
12. Tony Sacco’s Coal Oven Pizza– Chandler, AZ
13. Portofino Tuscan Grille– Warwick, RI
14. Atlanta Bread Company– Toms River, NJ
15. El Maguey– St Louis, MO
16. Crackpot Restaurant– Towson, MD
17. Shula’s America’s Steak House– Allentown, PA
18. The Armadillo– Northglenn, CO
19. Maria Pia– New York, NY
20. Magic Time Machine– Dallas, TX
21. Tukee’s Sports Grille– Phoenix, AZ
22. Braza Grill– Murray, UT
23. Granite Grill at 703– Braintree, MA
24. Miss Saigon Bar & Grill– Tucson, AZ
25. Harmon Brewery and Eatery– Tacoma, WA