Posts Tagged ‘sangria’
Warm summer days and nights are filled with parties and dinners and hopefully for those in our community, lots of great wine and champagne. But Jody has a fun patio season tradition for get togethers; Sangria. Sangria makes a nice cool summer drink. And with his secret recipe it’s easy.
For the spiced simple syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- sliced orange peel (orange part only)
- 1 inch piece of peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
For the Sangria:
- 1 750ml bottle red wine (merlot or cabernet)
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- juice from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup rum or brandy
- 1/4 cup orange flavored liquor (triple sec, Cointreu, Grand Marnier)
- sliced oranges, chopped apples (red and green), chopped pears
- frozen blackberries for serving
- In a saucepan, combine water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, ginger, cloves and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Continue to simmer while stirring and dissolving sugar. Boil until reduced a bit and slightly syrupy, about 15 minutes. Let simple syrup cool, strain and store in a glass jar in refrigerator. (You can use syrup for sangria or to sweeten tea, or sparkling water.)
- To make sangria: In a large pitcher combine all ingredients. Let refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight for best flavor.
So go ahead and try this recipe and then leave us a comment and let us know what you think.
Summer is here and after blogging about backyard barbequing, it is only fit to write our next article on our second favorite summer activity, patios! We surveyed the Wine Portfolio team to find out what their number one patio drink choices were, and here is what we found.
Wine Portfolio’s top drink picks:
Mojito- simple syrup, lime, soda water, rum and a handful of mint leaves.
Sangria- either white or red wine, sliced lemons, sliced limes, orange, sugar, orange juice or lemonade, gin, ginger ale, raspberries and strawberries. Tip: Add in a can of pineapple for an extra kick
Caesar- Clamato juice, Worcestershire, vodka, Tabasco, with a celery stick to garnish. Add a jumbo tiger shrimp to jazz things up!
Shandy- An English drink. Mix beer with ginger ale, sprite, or frozen limeade
Strawberry daiquiri- Mix rum, strawberries, sugar, and lime in a blender over ice and blend it up. Garnish the glass with a fresh strawberry et voila!
Long island ice tea- Named for its resemblance to traditional, non alcoholic iced tea, this refreshing patio drink is deceiving with its far above average alcohol levels.Equal parts vodka, gin, tequila, rum, triple sec and lemon juice. Add a splash of simple syrup and coke, and a lemon wedge to top it off.
Stiff lemonade- 2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice,1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice, 2 oz simple syrup, 1 oz vodka,1/2 oz Russo lemoncello, 1/2 oz cointreau. Add all ingredients in a blender over ice, and blend until all the ice chunks are smooth.